[SGVHAK] sewing machine thread

Jeremy Leader jleader at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Jun 2 15:21:51 PDT 2015

My impression is that hand sewing is the most flexible; depending on the
size of your needle, you can sew with anything from spiderwebs to twine.
Machine sewing is a little pickier, because the tension has to be
adjusted to match the thread and the fabric. Failure modes for machine
sewing include breaking thread, or over-feeding and tangling. I think
sergers make similar demands on thread, they just use it up a lot faster
(because every stitch wraps around the edge of the fabric) so they use
larger spools and bobbins.

As far as fibers go, I don't know much. I know cotton isn't as strong as
polyester, but might match the color and texture of cotton fabric
better. I've used nylon upholstery thread for hand-sewing heavy-duty
repairs (mending things like backpacks and futon covers). I tried some
kevlar thread a couple times which was very strong, but I discovered
that it's got very poor abrasion resistance. One time it wore through
where it rubbed inside the eye of the needle, while I was still sewing
with it!

--
Jeremy Leader
jleader at alumni.caltech.edu