[SGVHAK] [SGVLUG] new DSL configuration

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 21:23:26 PST 2014

I've been very happy with DSLExtreme Fusion.

I had originally started with Pacbel DSL at 1.5 Mb down, 768 Kb up.
Over the years I would upgrade to a faster speed eventually topping
out at their max DSL speed and started getting calls for Uverse.  AT&T
was capping me at 5 Mb down and 768Kb up.  I am about 5 blocks from
the Arcadia CO but at the end of a dead street in Monrovia so I'm not
sure of actual cable distance.

After switching to DSLExtreme, I was initially getting 4-6 Mb down and
1 Mb up but after letting it run a few days or weeks it got better.
I just checked and I'm getting 8052 Kb down and 892 Kb up.  I can dial
611 from home and use the IVR menu and  query or toggle between Annex
A download priority and Annex M or upload priority.  With Upload
priority, I think I usually get 3-5 Mb down and like 2-3 Mb up.  I
change as needed.

Now when I first signed up DSLExtreme last Oct, they went ahead and
sent me a Comtrend modem because I was told that the 2-wire modem I
had wasn't supported.  It actually worked but didn't support Annex M
but the speed wasn't much better.  I also disabled bridge mode in the
Comtrend so I could use the built-in router but it seemed like the
Internet connection was dropping almost daily.  Their modem also
didn't provide WiFi so I ordered a separate router (TP-Link WDR3600
with dual antennas) and the number of dropped connections has
decreased noticeably.  Maybe once a week but it usually comes back
within a few minutes so it might be a DHCP timeout.  Only problem now
is with bridge mode enabled, I can't check the connection speed by
pointing my browser at the device.  I have to dial 611.

Oh, installation was fairly painless.  They just had to swap my
wire-pair to a different rack in the CO I believe. I was already wired
for full DSL so I didn't need to install splitters everywhere.  Phone
service was down maybe an hour if that.  Internet took a little longer
but I believe it was working that night.

Claude