[SGVHAK] ATT U-verse vs TimeWarner cable

Matthew Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 10:50:34 PDT 2013

Hi Claude,

I have had uVerse for 2 years in a couple of forms.  AT&T's service is
beyond crappy.  The first time I was mis-billed over $700 and my phone
service was cut off due to their aggressively inaccurate billing
department.  I eventually cancelled the service.

I tried it again this year and the experience was just as bad.  Over $400
in mis-billing in the last 3 months. Each time you have to call in,
navigate an arcane voice recognition system, (shouting "give me a damn
human" three times in a row will connect you) and incompetent service ("oh
you are having a routing problem?  Let me reset your password for you.  You
don't want to reset your password?  Here is my manager.  (manager:) So you
have a routing problem?  You can't adjust that in our firmware, everything
has been locked out to make sure it works.  Let me send out a technician to
check your lines)  WTF?!?  I spent over 40! hours on the line to get it
working.

They dialed in and changed the settings on my router without asking my
permission knocking me off the network for 2 days until I noticed and
corrected.

Missed appointments?  Down for another 72 hours waiting at home (taking
time off work) for them to miss three appointments in a row.  The excuse?
"We contract out all our technicians and have to pay them overtime on
evenings and weekends.  You called on a Friday morning and we didn't have a
service tech in your area for Friday afternoon so we scheduled a series of
visits but they were denied to save us money"  Basic phone and Internet
service were finally restored Monday afternoon.  The cause? "One of our
technicians disconnected you while installing another party in your
neighborhood".  This has happened a dozen times in the last 10 years...  :(

The good side is that once you have it working it will stay up and stable
for the next 6 months until they change something else.

17 down, 1.5 up.  Their modem is useless as a router or DHCP server.  Use
your own router behind theirs but beware, their router has locked down
firmware with a completely brain dead interface.  No routing, port
forwarding configuration asinine, etc..

The preceding is just my opinion as a happy AT&T customer for 20 years.

Matt

---------
*Matthew Campbell*
Storage Solution Consultant