[SGVHAK] Saturday meeting recap (7/27)

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sun Jul 28 20:43:17 PDT 2013

Lan Dang writes:
> I bought a book called "Make: Electronics" by Charles Platt, which I am hoping will be the right introductory book to help me understand electronic components and how to put them together.   Still waiting for it to come in the mail.

I bought that book a year or two ago and like it a lot -- definitely
the best electronics book I've seen. All the others I've tried
(quite a few) are heavy on theory, like how to calculate the
resistance in a network where you have one DC and one AC voltage
source at different places in the circuit. Stuff I have no interest
in ever doing. Make: Electronics is more like, here, buy these two
chips, and wire them up in these ways -- here's what they do and why.
Wish I'd had it years ago. In a few cases I wished he'd chosen a
slightly different part that I was more interested in instead of
the one he chose, but that's a pretty minor complaint. I think
you'll like it. I confess I still get confused about when I need
to add a capacitors or resistors to my circuits, though. :-)

(Sorry I stopped coming to meetings -- we sold my mother's house so I
no longer have ties to the LA area, but I stayed on the list because
SGVHAK is awesome and we don't have any comparable groups in the
bay area. Hope you don't mind!)

	...Akkana