[SGVHAK] Make: Electronics (was Re: Saturday meeting recap (7/27)

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Wed Jul 31 17:22:24 PDT 2013

Hi Akkana,

Good to hear from you!  Thanks for coming to our meetings when we were first starting out.   You will always be a member of the group, no matter the distance.  Hope to see you at SCALE next year.

I got the book today.  It is very approachable and I am already learning things that I only half-knew before, like how to use a multimeter to measure resistance and how to read a resistor's color coding.  I needed something like this as a starting point because I sometimes have difficulty with certain concepts unless I can see it in action.

I guess it's time to put together a kit of electronic components to play with.  I'll bring the book to HAK if anyone is interested in looking through it.

I think there is a sequel to the book, but I can't remember when or if it has come out yet.

Charles Platt is putting out a 3-volume illustrated encyclopedia of electronic components.  I think volume 2 came out recently.  Here is the link for volume 1.

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/mobile/0636920026105.do

Lan