[SGVHAK] Saturday meeting recap (7/27)

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Sun Jul 28 19:42:30 PDT 2013

Hi all,

There was a pretty good turnout on Saturday at the library, including some new faces.  I hope I got their names right: John, Danny, and Bill.  Thanks for coming.  Hope you had as much fun as I did.

For future reference, Hastings Library offers free and open wifi. I think there are some restrictions on your network traffic.  You can SSH out, as long as you are using port 22.  If you put your SSH server on a nonstandard port, then you will have issues.  It's good to have some kind of gateway machine that listens to port 443 since that is used for SSL traffic and few places will block that.

Steven and Michael were in a corner working on their Raspberry Pi hacking project, despite issues with displays and lack of input devices.  I think they are doing their presentation at the September SGVLUG meeting.

Mic showed off the completed soldering projects from last meeting.  They were paintball prop bombs with a programmable countdown timer.

If you haven't been by our website lately, you should check it out: sgvhak.org

Thanks to James, we have a new, more minimalist look.  Please let us know if you want to be added to the Member Projects page.  And, join us on IRC.  There is a link that will allow you to login through a web browser, if you don't know how to use IRC.  We are on #sgvhak on freenode.

Bill came to learn about electronics.  I showed him my Arduino Sparkfun kit which has the Arduino, a protoboard, and assorted sensors and wires.  I regret not having bought a book to go with it, so I can go through the exercises. I bought a book called "Make: Electronics" by Charles Platt, which I am hoping will be the right introductory book to help me understand electronic components and how to put them together.   Still waiting for it to come in the mail.

John had this cool game all wired up on a board and hooked up to an old NES game controller.   The "screen" was a grid of leds.

We also went off on an interesting tangent talking about how to tunnel ssh traffic through a proxy.

Braddock came around 4pm and gave a quick demo for Internet in a Box.  It is coming across quite nicely.  Thanks to James, Internet in a Box has a nice website with a page that describes how you can contribute to the project, so please check out the website and the Github project.    #sgvhak is also a good place to hang out if you want to be involved.  Most of the discussion on #sgvhak is IIAB-related.

http://internet-in-a-box.org/

Lan