[SGVHAK] Next SGVLUG and SGVHAK meetings

Lan Dang ldangmlist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 20:57:52 PDT 2023

Hi all,

tl;dr Need headcount for April SGVLUG + info about SGVHAK meeting + the JPL
quilt is on display at the Pasadena History Museum with a couple of easter
eggs from yours truly.

SGVLUG MEETING
On April 13th at 6:30pm, we are going to have a social SGVLUG meeting, most
likely at Pitfire Pizza (730 S. Arroyo Parkway, Pasadena, CA 91105).  We
need a break from IHOP and I might really need a beer that day.

I need a rough headcount; so I can let the management know by next Monday.

The goal is to hang out, talk about SCALE, any projects we are working on,
and where we go next with LUG and the SGVTech meetup group.  SGVLUG is over
27 years old.  Do we want to do anything special as we get closer to
turning 30?

Additionally, we want to pass the hat for expenses
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pXsMJpe1mHs_El3ElaJtZMg-pDvCNkZ1seK5xtdwSa0/edit#gid=1>
.

SGVHAK MEETING
We seem to be going to a bimonthly cadence with the SGVHAK meetings as I'm
relying on Supplyframe Design Lab's availability to host the meeting.

On April 20th from 6:30-9pm, we are going to have a working SGVHAK meeting
at Supplyframe Design Lab (30 E. Del Mar Blvd, Pasadena, CA 90015).

It's a chance for you to work on your projects and get advice from others.

I'm going to take the opportunity to kick start the SGVHAK Rover activities
again.  In the near future, we will be working on building Open Source
Rover 2.0.

EASTER EGG
On a related note, early last year, I put an SGVHAK easter egg into a quilt
that was made for the new director of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory
<https://www.crescentavalleyweekly.com/news/06/09/2022/new-director-finds-warmth-in-jpl-community/>.
If you check out the second photo in this article, you will spot a familiar
rover in the quilt square for the last row, 3rd column.

You can see this quilt in person at the Pasadena Museum of History through
September 10th.
https://pasadenahistory.org/exhibits/galleries/community-stitches-quilt-designs-stories/

You can go on your own, or we could organize a Meetup to visit it, since I
think we have some JPL and Caltech folks in our community.

It's been fun to share the stories, not only of making the quilt, but also
just the various stories about JPL and its mission.   The museum is open
Wed-Sun, 12pm-6pm.  Admission is $9; students and kids get in for free.
JPL and Pasadena City College staff and students also get free admission.

Lan