[SGVHAK] open source software in everyday life

Tux Lab project.tuxlab at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 18:15:35 PDT 2021

Claude brought his ADS-B receiver to Dave's labor day bbq and I
thought that's pretty cool.   Perhaps we can do a series of meetups on
how we use open source software in everyday life, sort of like the lab
companion to the lug talks.

The motivation is that I take photos in both JPG and RAW format.   99%
of the time, the JPG image is good enough, however, there are times
when it'll be helpful to use Darktable to dehaze and sharpen the RAW
image, ie Milkyway and Airshow photos.   I remember attending a lug
talk on Darktable, but have no memory of how to use the software.

I am seriously considering becoming an ordained pastafarian minister
so perhaps I am in an evangelical mood.

The topics I am either doing right now or interested in doing are,

DarkTable to edit RAW photo images
Volumio/RPi Music Player
OpenSCAD to create objects for 3d printing
Zoneminder for security cameras
Mycroft voice assistant
Inkscape for vector graphics and laser cutting
ADS-B receiver for local flight tracking
KiCAD for circuit boards (amps, sensors, and etc)
GNU Radio/FM Receiver
RPi Chromecast/Media Server

If any of these topics interests you, please let me know.    We can
work on it together before introducing it as a topic for a SGVHAK meet
or as a separate event.

thanks,

John