[SGVHAK] Online SGVLUG Meeting: Sawppy and Open Source Docs - Thu 10/8

Lan Dang via HAK hak at sgvhak.net
Wed Oct 7 20:43:52 PDT 2020

Hi all,
A quick note that Jess is handling the November SGVLUG meeting.  He reminded me that we're nearing our 25th anniversary as a LUG.

This month--in fact, tomorrow/Thursday, we have our October SGVLUG meeting at 7pm on Google Meet.  Again, it's a joint meetup with Write the Docs LA.  These meetups tend to be discussion-based.  Someone presents an idea and gets a lot of feedback.

SGVLUG Meetup page
 https://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/zvpphlybcnblb/

Google Meet link:  https://meet.google.com/atx-vnyb-dbk

We are going to have a discussion of project documentation for Sawppy (https://github.com/Roger-random/Sawppy_Rover/tree/master/docs), which will be broadly applicable to other open source hardware projects.

We are *especially* on the lookout for hardware-focused documentarians to join the discussion and provide their insights!

ABOUT SAWPPY:

Roger Cheng created Sawppy, a motorized quarter-scale model of Mars rovers Curiosity & Perseverance. The design was shared publicly for free so that other rover fans around the world can build (and have built!) their own Sawppy from parts costing about $500 USD.

However, there is a lot of room for improvement in Sawppy documentation, which is currently a loose collection of Markdown files on GitHub. Roger would like to brainstorm tools and techniques to add some much-needed structure. Currently, his primary goal is to add metadata that indicates dependencies between parts and subassemblies (enough to auto-generate a Gantt chart).

Roger also hopes to preserve the project's capacity for community involvement (i.e., in the way that maintaining Markdown files on GitHub allows for easy contributions and reviews via pull requests).

OTHER DISCUSSION TOPICS FOR OCTOBER:

* Hacktoberfest
* GitHub Classroom

As usual, we'll hold space for people to introduce themselves and chat about some of the things they've been working on.

Tentative agenda:

6:45 - Introductions, chat

7:05 - Announcements. More chat.

7:20 - Discussion starts