[SGVHAK] Reminder: SGVLUG Meeting on 10/11: How to bring a project to Open Source

Lan Dang via HAK hak at sgvhak.net
Tue Oct 9 10:29:58 PDT 2018

Reminder that we have an SGVLUG meeting on Thursday at Du-Par's.
I'd like this to be a discussion where we share our experiences and
find concrete ways to prepare our projects for open source.
Crossposting to SGVHAK since we may also talk about the JPL Open Source Rover, which was released to the public back in late July.

https://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/zvpphlyxnbpb/

---
TIME: Thursday, October 11th, from 7pm to 9pm
LOCATION:Du-Par's Restaurant and Bakery, 214 S Lake Ave, Pasadena, CATOPIC: How to bring a project to Open Source
SPEAKER: Sujen Shah, Jet Propulsion Laboratory

TOPIC:
 "My code is available online on github.com so it's open source". Is that really true ?

This talk aims to cover what does it mean to be truly open source, including topics like:
- Motivations to go open source
- What, why, how and when to be open source
- Building and sustaining a community
BIO:
 Sujen, an open source enthusiast, got involved with contributing to open source projects while pursuing his masters at USC and currently works at JPL.

He is a member of the Apache Software Organization and in the Project Management Committee (PMC) of Apache Nutch and Apache OODT projects.

Over the past couple of years he has been involved with contributing towards open source efforts within JPL and projects at DARPA.

Lan