[SGVHAK] DTLA Mini Maker Faire on Dec 1st

Lan Dang via HAK hak at sgvhak.net
Thu Nov 1 01:52:32 PDT 2018

Hi all,

Save the date for the DTLA Mini Maker Faire, which is Saturday, Dec 1st, at the Central Library in Downtown Los Angeles.

It should be a blast to attend.  And if you have a couple of hours, we could use help with our booths.

Check out the list of makers here:https://dtla.makerfaire.com/makers-exhibits/

Register for your free tickets now.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dtla-mini-maker-faire-2018-registration-47936054028

SGVHAK will have a booth there.  We will be collocated with the JPL Open Source Rover and Repair Cafe and Tinkering and STEM in Pasadena in Maguire Garden, which is just outside the library.

Tinkering and STEM in Pasadena has an activity involving making a talking toy plushie.

Repair Cafe activity TBD, but probably involves fixing stuff.

Michael Starch is running the SGVHAK booth.  His hands-on activities involve paper circuits and wearable circuits using Lilypad and conductive thread.  We should have some space for show and tell, and we'll do our usual promotion of SCALE, SGVLUG, SGVHAK, etc.

I will be running the JPL Open Source Rover booth. The JPL open source rover will probably be there, if they finish repairing it.  I'm told it was pretty beaten up during JPL Open House.  Santa Susana HS should be there with their rover.   And Roger will be there with Sawppy.  We'll see if Dave will bring his as-yet nameless rover-under-construction.   The SGVHAK rover recently got a wheel upgrade, so it will be much faster now.  It might be fun to have a race, since we'll have space.

In addition to the exhibit,  Mik Cox from JPL will be giving a talk on the Open Source Rover, and Roger will give a talk about Sawppy.

Piggybacking on the JPL Open Source Rover booth, there will be a couple of tables set aside for JPL outreach materials and activities.  We will have something relating to the Mars InSight mission, which is scheduled to land on 11/26.  We will be borrowing the new VR system that IPAC recently acquired.  Other stuff TBD.  There should be a couple of JPL talks, one relating to spectroscopy and another to a 20-year tradition of the JPL Invention Challenge.

Lan