[SGVHAK] Toaster Oven Reflow Source Code

Tux Lab via HAK hak at sgvhak.net
Fri Nov 17 13:40:06 PST 2017

Braddock,

I use a hotplate to do reflow soldering.  It works fairly well.  Does
the entire board all at once.    Soldering is fastest part.   Solder
paste dispensing and component placement take a lot longer, I use
mostly 0603s, sometime 5~10x longer than reflow soldering with a
hotplate.

Recently I started using laser cut 5mil mylar soldering masks and that
sped up applying the soldering paste.  Dave is working on a soldering
paste dispensing machine based on his 3d printer design.   He showed
us the result using a felt tip pen.    It looks pretty good.

We just got fairly ancient  MDC EMC96 (made in 1996) pick and place up
and running.   The machine was upgraded back in early 2000 to a window
based software, still very rudimentary.  Basically align the fiduciary
and press start.   No vision system to correct for parts misalignment.
Just the option to use a pair of jaws to uniformly close on the picked
part for centering before placing it on the board.

We did a simple test using 0603, 0805, and 1206.  The parts seems to
all land on the proper pads.  Hopefully the reflow process will take
care of the slight misalignments.