[SGVHAK] Off-Topic: The New MacGyver

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 20:16:45 PST 2016

To watch any kind of show, you have to allow for a reasonable amount of "suspension of disbelief".  It's fairly high for a fantasy film like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter where you just have to accept magic.  For science fiction it has be to plausible though I do make some exceptions for things I grew up with such as Star Trek (transporters and warp speed) and Star Wars (light speed and light sabers) but I can't watch Transformers because I don't believe in infinite ammo or Twilight because the shapeshifting was changing mass.  However when it comes to dramas about computers, I have a very low tolerance.  I drive my family crazy because I will pause to look at screen shots.  Have you noticed how IP numbers have octets that are larger than 256?  Bugs the heck out of me.  I couldn't get past the first episode of Scorpion, gave up on CSI: Cyber, etc.

As for the new MacGyver, we gave it a try.  My wife doesn't think it captures the original, the stories are too predicable.  My son likes it but I told him to delete each episode as soon as he watches it to make space on TiVo which is full of episodes of Mr Robot and others that I have not found time to watch.

Claude