[SGVHAK] Off-Topic: The New MacGyver

Mic Chow zen at netten.net
Wed Nov 9 18:21:26 PST 2016

I know that many of us got our inspiration for problem solving,
tinkering, and learning about engineering from the old 80s series
MacGyver.  What does the crowd think about the new version?  I was in
high-school when the original series ran and it was great seeing a
character using their brains and the things around them to improvise and
solve the problem at hand.  Watching the new stuff I see so many errors,
that it makes it hard for me to watch without screaming "NO that is not
correct"  I understand that writers and producers do need to take
creative licences to make sure that if people try and emulate their
characters on television that they do not hurt themselves or worst hurt
others.  However, it seems that the original at least tried to be
somewhat close while this new one is all about the "bang."  Hackaday had
an article recently about spy shows and their creative problem solving
skills.  They use Burn Notice as an example on the good side, and NCIS
on the example of the absurd.

http://hackaday.com/2016/11/07/fictional-hacking-michael-westen/

Opinions?

-Mic