[SGVHAK] Intro to Arduino Microcontrollers Class - Jan 31st @ 12:00

James McDuffie mcduffie at pitfall.org
Wed Jan 21 14:32:40 PST 2015

Via the Nullspace mailing list:

----------

On January 31st from 12:00 (noon) to 16:00 NSL is hosting an
Introduction to Arduino Microcontrollers class. This class is
graciously provided to your free of charge by viduata! Please read the
full description below for information on what to bring, what to
install beforehand, and other important information.

Hope to see you all there on the 31st!

Thanks,
datagram

Short Description
Learn how to get started with Arduino. A brief introduction to the
world's most popular microcontroller platform.

Long Description
If you've ever wanted to start building your own hardware, there has
never been a better time. Arduino and its clones now allow beginners
to learn about embedded devices with very little overhead. Simply
install the software on your computer, plug in the development board,
and start writing code. In this class, we will attempt to cover most
of the following so that you can start working on your own projects.

1) Basic syntax in Arduino's C-like language
2) Configuring pins for input and output
3) Reading and manipulating values
4) Using basic serial communications

Time permitting, we can cover other topics, but these are guaranteed.

Please bring the following materials
1) A Laptop. Mac, PC, Linux, it doesn't really matter. They will all
work
2) An Arduino, or Arduino clone.  If you don't have one, we have a few
loaners, but don't count on getting one. You can get one for as little
as 30 bucks, and they can be found at Fry's and RadioShack.

Do not get an Arduino Mini. They are a pain and you have to set up a
little circuit to make them work.

Do not bring a "shield." Shields are boards that give Arduinos
additional capabilities. They can't be programmed and they are useless
by themselves.

Fry's mostly carries clones called by a company called Osepp. Those
are fine, and a little cheaper. Their Uno is fine.

3) The correct USB cable for your Arduino. Seriously, make sure to
bring the correct USB cable. For Reals.

Install the software before coming
The software can be found here:
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software#toc2

Make sure to install the correct version for your computer. Don't
worry about getting the newest Beta version. It shouldn't matter.

Make sure that you can launch the software, and that it seems to run
correctly. Seriously - Let's not make this 3 hours of me
troubleshooting your computer problems

What is provided
This is a no-frills class with emphasis on learning the Arduino
language and some basic circuitry ideas. You will not need many
materials, but we will provide:

1) Wire jumpers
2) LEDs
3) Mini Breadboards if you need them

And, of course you will be able to use our power outlets, wifi, and
that sort of stuff.