[SGVHAK] Coder's Corner Help Needed at SCALE

Braddock Gaskill braddock at braddock.com
Sat Feb 7 16:32:43 PST 2015

Hi folks,
The One Laptop Per Child community is attempting to run a Coder's Corner at
their expo booth at SCALE this year to teach people of all ages to code.
They need a lot of help manning the booth.

Anyone interested in helping out, please contact Caryl Bigenho (CC'ed
cbigenho at hotmail.com).  You may remember Caryl from the great presentation
on Open Source in Education and OLPC she gave to the LUG last spring (video
at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08EEQogGnu8 ).

They have several free conference passes for volunteers.

Details from Caryl:

"I was hoping you might see if any of the members of the group would be
interested in helping with the "Coders' Corner" booth at SCaLE 13X. It is
only 3 weeks away and so far, I have just 2 people signed up to help me...
and one is my husband!

The purpose of the booth is to have a place where people of all ages and
experience, who aren't coders, can have a chance to try it and see what the
excitement is all about.  We will be able to have several XO computers that
people can use to learn, mainly via Scratch and Python. We may also have
some other laptops so they can try some of the Google Hour Of Code
activities

The exhibit hall is open 3 days this year which makes covering all the
hours extra challenging. We will have several full conference passes so
people will be able to attend sessions and the fun evening events. They'll
also get a t-shirt and all the other swag that registered attendees receive.

One other perk is that we will probably have room to advertise SGVLUG in
the booth. I plan to also have some OLPC and SugarLabs things there too.
"

-braddock