[SGVHAK] [SGVLUG] new DSL configuration

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 18:32:43 PDT 2013

Wow they were prompt.  My activation time was scheduled for 11 am so I
opted to stay home and swap things as necessary.  Email reply from
DSLExtreme tech support this at 9 am said I would have to use my own router
and leave the modem in bridge mode.

So I booted up my old RT-311 router after trying a dozen passwords and
started trying to change the configuration to work with DHCP.  Internet
connection died about 11:05 as did the phone.  Modem sync light flashing
red.  Moved telephone line over to the new modem and it got sync within
10-15 minutes?   Couldn't get the router to work so I connected the modem
to one of the desktops and eventually got that working after a factory
reboot which put it back to bridge mode and DHCP.  Got dial tone and was
able to call out about 11:24 and the caller Id seemed to look good but when
I tried to call the home number it just rang.  A few minutes later I was
able to call in and out w/o problems.  Maybe the tech was just wiring it in
and I managed to zap him with bell ringing current and voltage; :)
 Eventually got my old router working by configuring it to use DHCP and
just wait a while for the modem to hand out an IP.  The problem is some of
this stuff won't allow you to access or save certain settings until the
current step is completed.  Got enough working so my family would have
access when they got home.

Just as I'm leaving, I got an email reply from a tier 2 support tech saying
to reconfigure my 2-wire modem for DHCP. I'll try that when I get home
tonight just to confirm that my original modem will work.  Otherwise, I
still want to see about using the new modem in non bridge mode and use it
as a router which has got to be better than my 14 year router.

Also need to see about getting my IP updated via DynDNS.  IIRC, my old
router was using an older API that might not be supported anymore.

Claude