[SGVHAK] Thu 9/19 Meeting Recap

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Sun Sep 22 00:02:31 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Sorry for the late recap.

It seems 6:30pm works for most people since they come at that time or later.  I think we had 8 or 9 people.  I was preoccupied with work so I wasn't paying as much attention to what other folks were working on.

The guys helped me with my door knob failure analysis.  I'll start by saying the door knob is probably over 80 years old.  If it helps date things, the hole for the door knob was less than 3/4".  Standard door knob holes are currently 2 1/8" now.

I was trying to determine how the door latch mechanism worked and what would cause it to fail.  I removed the screw that held together the cylinder for the latch mechanism and immediately, 2 components fell out.  One was the bearing(?), which is what the knob turns.  There was a mysterious metal bit that was curled up on itself.  The actual latch was hooked up to a spring.

The mysterious metal bit turned out to have been torn away from its housing and mangled.  Likely, the culprit was age and metal fatigue. The only way to operate the latch at that point would be to grip the latch and retract it.

John S. was there with his wireless keyboard project, ready for beta testing.  It's pretty nifty and I hope he will give a presentation at LUG sometime.  John C. was working on his Raspberry Pi.  I am not sure what the others were working on.

Michael came later with pumpkin pie.

We are tentatively planning a SGVLUG/SGVHAK bbq for Nov 16th.  More news on that closer to November.

Reminder: No Saturday meeting this month.

Lan