[SGVHAK] Flying Bike

Matthew Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 08:55:50 PDT 2013

James, that was solved over a century ago.  Take a look at an airplane
yoke.  Adding push/pull on the handlebars would give you all the dimensions
you need with a single control.

A second set on inputs are the pedals.  While in the air just attach a
sensor to the main sprocket to get another analog channel.

With current 9DOF sensors and flight software the bike can completely fly
itself much more stably than is shown in the video.  You just need to
decide from the available inputs how to map them to movement.

Humans do best with a small number of multi-functional controls.  Take a
look at the RC remote control they are using to control the bike now.  2
Joysticks (4 analog inputs) is more than enough.  Drop a sensor on to the
front and rear brakes and you already have more analog channels than you
need.  Add a mic to the bell and sensors on the gear shifters and your
digital channels start to fill out.

Remember steam ships and the series of bells used to signal the engine room
from the bridge?  ;)

Matt