[SGVHAK] SGVHAK Scheduling/format change

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Wed Jun 12 22:38:04 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Expect the HAK meeting time and location to change in the future.  Here's what happened last meeting.

1) Michael shared the results of the hackerspace survey and concluded that there was not enough interest and funding to start up our own hackerspace.  If we are interested in finding a workspace outside of our own homes and the HAK meetings, then we should be looking to other hackerspaces/co-working spaces.

2) We had issues reserving the library meeting room for July 2013 - June 2013.  Some Pasadena resident reserved the room for the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month.  So instead, we have reserved the 4th Saturday of the month from 2-6pm.  I am still waiting for confirmation from the library administration that we have the reservation, but informally, there isn't a problem.

NOTE: The Saturday meetings are contingent on enough people RSVPing  to come on that Saturday.  I would feel extremely silly sitting in a room for 4 hours by myself on a Saturday afternoon.  Unfortunately, this time is not good for several people.

3) Dave has graciously volunteered his workshop to host our next meeting (Thursday, June 20th, 5-9pm), and potentially our future meetings.  We need to  coordinate on bringing extra seating, as that will be
limited.   I have 5 or 6 stackable plastic stools and 4 folding chairs.

He also offered to show us how to solder.  Bring your soldering equipment, if you have it.

11711 Clark Street
Suite 108
Arcadia, CA 91006

It is off Peck Road between Lower Azusa and Live Oak.  It is opposite a Gentlemen's Club.

Those of you who are familiar with the area should recommend a place we can go to for dinner.  Criteria is that it is not too expensive and can accommodate a large group after 9pm without requiring a reservation.

4) Doug also volunteered his grandfather's place in South Pasadena, if we need an alternative meeting place.    John has also offered his place.

5) If Dave thinks he can host it on a
regular basis, we may be meeting regularly at his place.  We still have reservations for the 4th Saturday of the month.  And we may be able to line up other places, if Dave is unavailable for some months.  We will work out a schedule of meeting times and locations at the next meeting.

Thanks all for stepping up.  It looks like we can meet more frequently if we wish, and for longer periods of time.  If we can meet at Dave's workshop, then we have more freedom in the types of projects we can work on.  I can't imagine trying to build a Nerf rocket launcher at the library.
Lan