[SGVHAK] Internet in a Box Project: Anyone want to help?

Braddock braddock at braddock.com
Sun Feb 10 15:44:53 PST 2013

On 02/10/2013 02:14 PM, Joshua Haglund wrote:
> I recently setup an open street map server. It takes a lot of
> resources to render the tiles from the

Yes, OSM is very resource hungry.  I've done a lot of work on the
OpenStreetMap data and think I have mapping all set for this project.

I actually got the entire map rendering stack set up and running on the
ARM wireless harddrive, but it was hopelessly slow (2-5 minutes to
render each tile).

So I ended up using about a month of processing time on my server to
pre-render the entire globe to 30 ft resolution, and then scripted up
rendering of populated places to 15 ft resolution.  Ends up taking only
about 130GB for the tile images (vs the 350GB for the actual database,
which seems wrong).

By the end I had bought a second computer with 16GB RAM and a 500 GB SSD
just so it could handle the OSM dataset. (helps with the Wikipedia
dataset too).

-braddock