[SGVHAK] Internet in a Box Project: Anyone want to help?

Braddock braddock at braddock.com
Sun Feb 10 12:03:28 PST 2013

Hi folks,

For months I've been spending spare time on my Internet-in-a-Box
project.  There is still a lot to do, and I was wondering if anyone
wants to volunteer to help.

The concept:
Convert a Seagate GoFlex Satellite wireless harddrive (possibly solar
powered) into a portable offline "internet" hotspot with most(?) of the
world's Free knowledge and information.  Ship to schools and villages in
the developing world (I have contacts from my old Wikipedia Reader
project).  Accessible via low end smart phone, tablet, or PC.

I am aiming to provide:

-World-wide maps down to street level (OpenStreetMap)

-Complete Wikipedia in a dozen languages

-Tens of thousands of Project Gutenberg texts in multiple languages

-Most of the world's Open Source software - complete Ubuntu repository
mirrors including source code.

-Hundreds of hours of Khan Academy instructional videos (CC)

-More?

Many things remain to be done, for example:

-Evaluate and integrate a faster Wikipedia solution which can work well
on the (slow) Satellite (128MB RAM ARM)
-A mobile-friendly Project Gutenberg browser
-A mobile-friendly video browser
-A mobile-friendly Open Source software browser
-Cross-domain search functionality and content indexing
-More?

Platform is a chroot ARM Debian on the Satellite using Python and Flask
as glue.

I'm determined to have this ready to go by April.

thanks,
-braddock