[SGVHAK] Reminder: SGVHAK meeting this Saturday 8/24

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Thu Aug 22 00:54:59 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Reminder that we have a HAK meeting this Saturday at Hastings Branch Library.  We meet on the 4th Saturday afternoon of the month at the library.  (See end of e-mail for the specific dates.)

When: Saturday, 08/24/2013 2:00 - 6:00 PM

Where: Hastings Branch Library (3325 East Orange Grove Boulevard Pasadena, CA 91107)
Come find us at the meeting room near the circulation desk.
These are hands-on working meetings. There are tables, free wifi, and a group of knowledgeable people. So come, bring your projects, show off your new toys, and just connect with your fellow hardware geeks. There is even a projector if you want to do a mini-presentation.

Braddock will be at the meeting, so if you're interested in Internet-in-a-Box (http://internet-in-a-box.org), this is the meeting to go to.   For folks already involved, this can serve as an IIAB workathon.

I'm not sure what other people are working on, but I'm going to tackle the long overdue task of installing an SSD into my old MacBook Pro.  While I have the laptop open, I will probably blow out the dust and put a little WD-40 on the fans, which have been annoyingly loud.  Fingers crossed that I don't damage any sensors.   My ultimate goal is to set up a double or triple-boot system with OS X and some distro(s) of Linux, so I would value any advice from people who have experience with that.

Oh yes, I will bring my Make: Electronics book.  I will also bring the companion  Encyclopedia of Electronic Components, assuming I can find it by Saturday.

It can sometimes be confusing to remember which Saturday we meet.   Our reservation goes from July 2013 to June 2014.  These are the dates I reserved:

Aug 24, 2013 (this week)
Sep 28, 2013
Oct 26, 2013
Nov 23, 2013