[SGVHAK] manufacturing co-op

Tux Lab project.tuxlab at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 23:31:14 PDT 2013

I went to the OC mini maker faire and visited the booth for Vocademy
(Riverside), edtrication (Irvine), and FactoryeNova(Fountain Valley).
 I am wondering if there are people who are interested in a domestic
manufacturing co-op here in SGV?

Participants in the co-op will have their own offices but share the
manufacturing resources.   The co-op exist primarily to help people
start their own domestic manufacturing company.   In exchange for the
manufacturing resources and minimal office rent, the co-op will
request a minor equity stake (10~15%) in the start ups.    Hopefully
the startups will become successful companies so they can help fund
the next batch of startups.   Ideally the process will be self
sustaining and allows for the co-op to grow in capability and
capacity.   Every dollar the co-op spend on itself should be matched
by a another dollar donated to other social/tech/political causes.

The co-op is not geared toward the traditional makerspace/hackespacer
crowd, it's more for makers and hackers who want to start their own
domestic manufacturing companies.   However, participants can use the
co-op to host community events outside of normal business hours.

The key is domestic manufacturing and give back to society, in
addition to all other aspects of a commercial for-profit business
pursuit.

It's a long shot, but if anyone is interested, please let me know.

thanks,

John