[SGVHAK] [SGVLUG] Reminder: SGVLUG Meeting: Interplanetary Helicopters and You 6/10

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Thu Jun 10 06:44:20 PDT 2021

 Here's the Zoom link if you're joining tonight.https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82742199152?pwd=OGlRQzFWMDVmVkpaUk41cVliai8vUT09

    On Monday, June 7, 2021, 2:58:24 AM PDT, Lan Dang via SGVLUG <sgvlug at sgvlug.net> wrote:

 Hi all,
 This month, long-time SGVLUG/SGVHAK member Michael Starch will be sharing his work on the NASA/JPL open source F' framework and Mars helicopter.  It's going to be a moderated Q&A, so having some questions ahead of time will let us prep.
Go to www.menti.com and use the code 9832 3642
We will be on Zoom.  I'll send out a follow up email with the link on Wed night, and the link will also be posted on the Meetup around the same time.

I have not gone out of my way to publicize this meeting because it's really a chance for us to chat with Michael about something he's been working on for a long time and is proud of.  I am personally really interested to hear about how F' is used on Ingenuity and also details on how F' is managed as an open source project, as well as a long-ago comment Michael made about F' possibly running on the JPL Open Source Rover.

Time: June 10th, 7pm-9pm

Zoom link: TBD  (will be emailed out Wednesday night)

Meetup link: https://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/zvpphlyccjbnb/

Interplanetary Helicopters and You: A Moderated Discussion on the Ingenuity Helicopter, F´ Framework, and Open Source
ABSTRACT

Mars Helicopter (Ingenuity) recently performed the first powered flight on another planet, and was programmed using an open source embedded systems framework available to you! Come for a discussion about the Mars Helicopter project, the F´ framework used to architect the software, and the journey to make this framework open source. Feel free to bring questions pertaining to both ingenuity, and the F´ as this will be a moderated session with a Q&A format. Expect to learn a bit about embedded system development, challenges posed by open source, lessons learned, and a lot more!

BIO

Michael Starch has been a software engineer at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory for over a decade. In that time he designed and built cloud-scale data processing systems, engineered flight control software, and pushed open source software development. Most recently he was the Mars Helicopter Downlink and Tools lead for Ingenuity's first powered flight on another planet. He also functions as the cognizant engineer and community manager of the open source F′ embedded systems framework, which is used to control a number of spacecraft including Ingenuity itself.

Michael graduated with a computer engineering degree from the University of Michigan. He has been an active member in the San Gabriel Valley Linux User Group for a number of years and in his free time he mentors at a local high school Girls Who Code club. He thoroughly enjoys talking about anything tech!

Agenda:
6:45 - Introductions, chat
7:05 - Announcements7:15 - Moderated Q&A starts

Lan