[SGVHAK] Laser cutter purchase for HAK use

Lan Dang via HAK hak at sgvhak.net
Thu Apr 18 23:16:11 PDT 2019

Hi all,
Please read if you're interested in the laser cutter we are acquiring for HAK and installing at Dave's workshop.

I welcome your feedback and suggestions before I pull the trigger.  Part of what I need to know is -when- to pull the trigger.  I want to make sure there will be HAK folks committed to install and experiment with the laser cutter soon after it is delivered.  (Dave is busy for the next three weeks.)

CONDITIONS OF PURCHASE
======================
I'm willing to fund the purchase of a laser cutter, but the SGVHAK group has to handle the care and feeding and make sure it actually gets used.
Some folks have offered to contribute to the purchase price.  I'm happy to take donations, which will go towards upgrades and buying spare parts.  If you want an ownership stake, you'll have to work it out with me to ensure we have similar goals and agree on what will happen to the laser cutter when Dave retires and packs up his workshop.

COST TO USE LASER CUTTER========================
We need to charge for the use of the laser cutter to cover operational and maintenance costs, as well as eventual replacement of either the CO2 laser or the entire machine.  The current estimate, based on the laser cutter we are planning to buy, will probably be $4/hour or 7 cents/minute.  This is based on purchase price divided by estimated 600-hour lifespan, rounded to the nearest ceiling for cent or dollar.

TRAINING TO USE LASER CUTTER===========================We need to set up some training and rules of the road to use the laser cutter, both for safety of personnel and the equipment.  I will consult with the Fab Lab at PCC.

LASER CUTTER=============
Thank you Roger, MPS, and Dave for the research.https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Wk8agD_MNT-GKxh32JCqcC2r_ONlRgriaDDaDe7mnn4/edit#

Dave and I looked over the research today a decided on this laser cutter because it would fit in the space, has a good cutting size with 80W.  It looks like it can be used standalone.  And it's on wheels.  The seller has 30k reviews, 98% positive.  It is a good price at $2,228.99 with free shipping, and the seller is based in Rowland Heights, which is nearby.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/80W-CO2-USB-Laser-Cutter-Engraving-Cutting-Machine-700x500mm-Up-and-down-Table-/292695173689

SOFTWARE ISSUE===============
I am not crazy about the software that comes with it.  It is called LaserCAD and available on Windows-only.  However, there is an alternative cross-platform software package called Lightburn, which may or may not work with this laser cutter's controller, which is Trocen-based.  There is a 30-day free trial; I believe the software costs $80
https://lightburnsoftware.com/
"
LightBurn talks directly to your laser, without the use of additional software.

"We currently support most GCode and Ruida based controllers.  GCode controllers, including Grbl, Smoothie, and Grbl-LPC, Marlin, and Ruida controllers, including the RDC6442G/S, RDC6445G, RDC6332G, RDLC-320A, and the R5-DSP are among those supported.  The Trocen AWC708C, AWC608 are supported as well. More controllers will be added soon, so if you don't see yours listed, send us a message - maybe we're already working on it!

"If your controller is GCode, Ruida, or Trocen based, even if it's not listed it might be supported already - Download the free trial and try it for yourself.  If it doesn't work, it often only takes a day or two to make the required changes to support a new board in these families"
Alternatively, we can swap out the controller and look for open source software.
Lan