[SGVHAK] Anyone have a cheap telescope? (Solar eclipse booth at March for Science Pasadena on Saturday

Lan Dang via HAK hak at sgvhak.net
Thu Apr 20 10:54:58 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I somehow have ended up in charge of a solar eclipse booth* at the March for Science Pasadena outreach fair at Memorial Park this Saturday, from 9:30am to 11am.   No, I am neither an expert nor an enthusiast, but there is a plethora of free educational material I can leverage for some activities and handouts.
https://www.facebook.com/MarchForSciencePasadena

One of the activities involves pointing a cheap telescope at the sun, and putting some white paper on the eye-piece side, so you can indirectly view the sun.  (One should obviously not look through the telescope into the sun without putting the appropriate filter on the telescope.)

Anyone have a cheap telescope I can borrow?  The event is on Saturday.  I'd like it by Friday night at the latest, since I need to make  a cardboard baffle to cast a shadow on the paper, thereby highlighting the sun.

Thanks,

Lan