[SGVHAK] Reminder: HAK meetings this week on Thursday and Saturday

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Tue May 19 21:56:26 PDT 2015

Hi all,

It's one of those months where we have two HAK meetings within 2 days of each other.
Join us to show off your new toys or work on your projects. Come to join
like minded hardware hackers and learn from each other. This meeting
tends to be very social.

Thursday, May 21st, we will be meeting at Tux Lab from 6:30 PM to 9:00PM
(58 West Live Oak, Arcadia, CA)

The address is Live Oak Ave, but the parking lot entrance is from Welland. Once you enter the parking lot, 58 is the building to the left. There are people practicing Tai-Chi in the parking lot.http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/221602743/

Saturday, May 23rd, we will be meeting at the Hastings Branch Library
from 2pm to 6pm.
http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/222519919/

On Thursday, we have a few things planned.  On Saturday, we'll play it by ear.

* Mic will do some knife sharpening.  This is a great opportunity to learn how to take care of your blades and keep them sharp.
* We may have a sewing project involving a dessicant packets to make a cooling pad.
* We will also give an informal introduction to Inkscape, an open source vector graphics editor.     We use Inkscape to design and layout laser cutting parts.   We will go over the basic operations required to create laser cut object, ie drawing basic geometric shapes,creating curves, deleting and creating path, and etc.

* Tux-Lab made the Hackaday soldering boards.

http://imgur.com/OBtsBzU

We're planning on making a HAK version of the soldering boards with a larger surface area, updated design and custom logo.   It will be cut out of birch plywood on a CNC router, laser-engraved, and finished with polycrylic.   If you're interested in going home with one of your own, it will cost $20 and your own sweat and creativity, i.e., you can design your own board and/or logo and do the sanding and finishing yourself.  The money goes towards material costs and the SGVHAK reserve funds***.   The satisfaction is all yours.

Lan

*** We don't charge a membership fee, so our funds come from donations and the occasional fundraising effort like the raffle at SCALE, or something like this.