[SGVHAK] ham radio equipment recommendation

Braddock Gaskill braddock at braddock.com
Mon Jun 29 16:34:08 PDT 2015

I was thinking of DSTAR (Icom), and C4FM (Yaesu), but now I see that DMR
(Motorola) is also competitive in the amateur market.

It is a bad situation.  There are some proprietary patent encumbered voice
codecs in use as well (at least in DSTAR) to complicate matters further.

In *THEORY* DSTAR is an open standard developed by the Japanese amateur
radio community, but the only working implementation AFAIK is Icom.

Frankly, I would just avoid digital VHF/UHF.

-braddock