[SGVHAK] ham radio equipment recommendation

Mic Chow zen at netten.net
Sun Jun 28 18:45:59 PDT 2015

Since I have always lacked space, went with a 5watt  handheld with the
intent of getting a mobile (car) unit later for greater range.  However,
I never got around to installing a mobile unit into my car, so I stayed
with my handheld.  Nowadays with the Chinese company Baofeng, the units
have become cheaper.  Baofeng are of surprisingly decent quality
especially for their price.  I personally like my Yaesu VX-7 that I
bought 20 years ago and still use.  The VX-7 has been replaced with the
VX-8 with lots of additional features.  The big quality brands that
remember are Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood and Motorola.  Alinco used to be in
there, but I think they have disappeared.  Motorola being the only
American in the bunch with the rest being out of Japan.

If I could have started now, I would have started with a Baofeng UV-5r
(the very same ones used at SCALE), because they are decent range, and
are of a decent quality; and they are under $50 so you do not feel as
bad if you do something silly to them.  Comparing to the equivalent
Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood and Motorola being north of $100 with most of them
easily over $200.

I have heard of folks taking mobile units and decent antennas to make
base stations.

I say for the cost go with the Baofeng UV-5r and then move up from there.

I take it that several people passed their test?

-Mic