[SGVHAK] Upcoming events this weekend and the rest of November

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Fri Nov 7 23:41:43 PST 2014

Hi all,

We have a number of SGVHAK-ish Meetup events for this month.  Sorry about the short notice on some of them.

* Sat, Nov 8th: SoCal Maker Con at the Los Angeles Fairplex in Pomona from 9am-5pm.  Acrobotics, which hosts the Pasadena Arduino meetup, will have a booth there.

http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/194919532/
http://www.meetup.com/Arduino-Electronics-DIY-Robotics-Pasadena/events/194612532/

* Sun, Nov 9th: Highland Pacific Model Railroad Open House this Saturday and Sunday from 12pm-5pm in the city of San Gabriel.  The Meetup is scheduled for Sunday, but you can come any time during their open house.  The Highland Pacific website advertises that there will be souvenirs and a raffle.

http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/218399512/

http://highlandpacificrr.com/

* Thu, Nov 13th: SGVLUG monthly presentation will be about  amateur high altitude ballooning.  It is at Burger Continental next Thursday, Nov 13th, from 7-9pm.  The talk will start around 8pm.  We may or may not be able to record it, depending on if we remember to bring the equipment and set it up correctly.
http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/215497372/

* Sat, Nov 15th: The last Repair Cafe of the year will be at All Saints Church in Pasadena from noon to 3pm.  It's a great event to go if you need something repaired, or if you want to repair something.

http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/216620622/

* Thu, Nov 20th: The next SGVHAK meeting will be at Tux-Lab in Arcadia.  I am hoping for more progress on the air hockey table.  It would be really nice to be able to bring it to SCALE (Southern California Linux Expo) next year.
http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/qpnvmhyspbbc/

* Sat, Nov 22nd: The Saturday SGVHAK meeting will be at Hastings Branch library from 2-6pm.  You can come work on anything. We will probably be talking about SCALE.  Steven has mentioned manning an SGVHAK booth at SCALE.  It would be really nice to be able to show off member projects and offer some promotional items to advertise the group.  This will replace the Birds of a Feather session we did at SCALE in previous years.

* Mon, Nov 24th: The Hackaday Happy Hour Show & Tell is from 6 to 8pm at some drinking establishment.  You will have to join the Meetup to get the location.

http://www.meetup.com/Hackaday-Projects-Pasadena/events/199608292/

* Thanksgiving weekend (Nov 26-28): LosCon 41, an annual science fiction and fantasy convention, will be at the LAX Marriott. The past couple of years, they've had  maker exhibits and even an Arduino workshop at the convention.  I remember one year, they had the R2 builders come and show off their R2D2s.  And I have fond memories of a really cool barbot that made a delicious alcoholic beverage. Judging by the posts on their Facebook page, we can look forward to more maker-related workshops this year.
http://loscon.org/41/
https://www.facebook.com/Loscon

Lan

PS I believe we will be doing another TRW Swapmeet Meetup in December.