[SGVHAK] Jun 26th meeting cancelled, 2 other events announced + Origami

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Thu Jul 24 08:24:49 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I apologize for not taking care of this earlier.  Work has been busy.  Thanks to James for prodding me.

In case you didn't get the memo, this Saturday's Hastings library meeting is cancelled because of a room conflict for our usual time slot.  This is only for this month.

Instead, we have two Meetup events for Saturday.

We will visit Dave Flynn at the Highland Pacific Railroad club in San Gabriel any time after 10am.  I believe we can just drop by, since he will be there.
Check out the Meetup notice for links and information.  Please RSVP on Meetup if you are going, so we have an idea of how many people to expect.
http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/196804262/

There is also a liquid nitrogen ice cream workshop out at the Exploratory in Culver City from 2-4pm. It's about $20 for adults and $35 for adult+child.   It's a long drive, but ice cream making is my hobby, and I've been wanting to try liquid nitrogen ice cream making for a long time.   If you're planning on going, perhaps we can carpool.  I'll be leaving from the San Gabriel area around 12:30pm.
http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/196801022/

I didn't make a Meetup for this, but I advise you to  check out Robert Lang's origami exhibit: Folded.   It will be at the Williamson Gallery (Art Center College of Design)  until August 20th.

http://www.artcenter.edu/accd/calendar.jsp

Here's an article about him

http://www.fastcocreate.com/3032250/art-folds-into-science-in-robert-langs-extreme-origami

Here's a lecture he gave at TED.  It's a shorter version of the one that he's given recently at JPL and at the Art Center.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/robert_lang_folds_way_new_origami.html

Lan