[SGVHAK] Reminder: Saturday Meetups 01/25

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Mon Jan 20 19:58:51 PST 2014

Hi all,

It's time for our Saturday HAK meeting.   We meet on the 4th Saturday afternoon of the month at the library. (See end of e-mail for the specific dates.) I suggest bringing power strips and extension cords.

Please note that we will be cancelling the February Saturday meeting at Hastings Branch Library because many of us will be at the Southern California Linux Expo (SCALE) all weekend.

tl;dr: Join Meetup.  Adjust the email/notification settings.  Two events this Saturday: Repair Cafe (12-3pm) & normal HAK meeting (2-6pm)  Please RSVP.

MEETUP
=======
As has been mentioned before, the SGVHAK is now on Meetup through the SGV Tech Meetup group.

http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/

It is a way to raise the visibility of the group and make it easier for people to see when and where the meetings are, especially if they get cancelled or the venues change. If you haven't already joined the group, you should consider doing so.

 And make sure you adjust the email/notification settings for both your general account and for the Meetup group, to control the amount of email you'll be receiving from Meetup.com.

http://www.meetup.com/account/comm/

REPAIR CAFE
===========

Scoops is hosting a meetup at the Repair Cafe at The Shed in north Pasadena.  It is part of the zero-waste sustainability movement, so you can barter and learn skills and get your broken things repaired, or use your repair skills to help others.

It runs from 12-3pm, but you can come at 11:30am to help setup and get a briefing on how Repair Cafe works.  If you are willing to volunteer your repair skills, please RSVP to the meetup and let Scoops know.

This coincides with the La Loma Development and Transition Pasadena Open House, where you can find out more about these organizations.

http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/159926322/

http://www.lalomadevelopment.com/events/winter-open-house-repair-cafe

SATURDAY HAK MEETING
===================
The Saturday HAK meeting is 2pm-6pm.  Hastings Branch Library is about 10 minutes (by car) from the Shed.

I will be at Hastings Branch library around 2pm to set up the room, but some people will be coming later, after they've wrapped up things at Repair Cafe.
http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/159892462/

Come find us at the meeting room near the circulation desk. These are hands-on working meetings. There are tables, free wifi, and a group of knowledgeable people. So come, bring your projects, show off your new toys, and just connect with your fellow hardware geeks. There is even a projector if you want to do a mini-presentation.

If you're planning on coming and working on something cool, please speak up.  There is a small group of us who will be working on projects relating to SCALE A/V.

It can sometimes be confusing to remember which Saturday we meet at Hastings Branch Library.

These are the dates I reserved:
Jan 25, 2014 (this week)
Feb 22, 2014 (cancelled)
Mar 22, 2014