[SGVHAK] arduino based 20m/40m morse code radio

Stan Slonkosky stan.ke6zc at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 23:49:56 PDT 2014

This was reviewed favorably in the August 2014 QST. If anyone doesn't have
access to that, I can send the PDF of the review (which includes two other
unrelated items) as an attachment.

A couple of annoying things about this is that you need to change 5 jumpers
to change bands and that there is no display of frequency. When you turn it
on, it comes up on a specific frequency and you have to manually count LED
flashes as you adjust the tuning dial. It already comes with software to
support an LCD frequency display so all you need do connect one up. One of
the user groups has designed a modification to allow the Uno32 to handle
the band switching.

Apparently someone has been able to modify it so it can run JT65 (requires
a modification to the heat sink; it probably needs to dissipate for heat
for this mode). I read also that some are trying to get it to run PSK 31,
which should be possible.

There is a new model coming, the Patriot 507, that will do SSB and has a
switch to do change bands so you don't need to change a bunch of jumpers. A
prototype was shown in May at the Dayton Hamvention. There is no word on
when it will be available. One guy said he pre-ordered it for $400. I'm not
sure why it costs twice as much. There is a brochure about it at
http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/dayton_new_products/2014_dayton_new_products/transmitters_transceivers_amplifiers/Ten-Tec%20507%20Patriot%20Flyer%20.pdf
.

--
Stan Slonkosky