[SGVHAK] Pi + DVD Laser CNC engraving

James McDuffie mcduffie at pitfall.org
Thu Nov 28 20:53:30 PST 2013

That is actually the article I had read before discussing it last
Saturday. I did order some of the motor drivers after reading it, but I
do not have any DVD drives to salvage lasers and steppers from. Laser
diodes from ebay in the 200 mW range seem to be running around an
average price of $25, although I have seen some as low as ~$12. If
anyone builds this I highly suggest buying laser protective goggles as
well. Also as the article points out, its better to get a visible laser
instead of an IR one because you can actually see the beam.