[SGVHAK] Yubikey and Password Manager

Braddock braddock at braddock.com
Wed Mar 13 08:45:20 PDT 2013

On 03/12/2013 06:06 PM, willingc at willingconsulting.com wrote:
> I met some of you at Scale11x a few weeks ago. I remember someone had
> a Yubikey for one time passwords and VPN access from a client site.
> Any suggestions on which model of Yubikey is best and which password
> manager is your favorite?

Hi Carol,
I had brought the Yubikey to the SCALE meetup.

I have the Yubikey Standard packaged with one year of LastPass Premium.
The Yubikey NEO has NFC as well, but I don't have any NFC devices.  The
Nano is attractively small, but I figured I'd need to put it on a loop
of some kind for my keychain which would make it bulkier anyway.  The
VIP model has a lot of bells and whistles I didn't really need.

I really like LastPass.  I also got the Linux PAM module for Yubikey
working on my Linux boxes without too much pain.

Also note you can program the Yubikey to emit either a one-time-password
when you press it momentarily, or there is a second slot you can
configure with a long fixed password activated by pressing for a few
seconds for systems which can't use OTP.

I have not tried to set up my own authentication server, I just rely
(and thus implicitly trust) the Yubi Cloud service.

-braddock