[SGVHAK] Using JMRI or CMRI to access hundreds of I/O lines

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 17:02:37 PDT 2013

Anyone on list using JMRI or CMRI for model railroading or any thoughts on
being able to access hundreds of I/O lines?  I need to be able to read and
write to a crazy number of I/O lines for doing block detection, block
control, switches, signal lights, track configuration for switch yards and
routes, etc.

I've used JMRI for controlling trains but not for accessories.  DCC can get
rather expensive so our club is looking at using CMRI interface modules as
the prices can be as low as less than a dollar per IO line with DIY kits
and that's buffered.

For programming I'm not all that keen on using Basic as described in the
original CMRI implementation and while the GUI based programs that are part
of JMRI might work for some of the high level features like programming
engines or track configuration I don't want a frozen GUI to cause a train
to derail or worse collide so I'm thinking of a hybrid approach.  One or
more arduino's or possibly Raspberry Pi's for the low level functions like
signal lighting, crossing gates and possibly setup track control.  Then run
JMRI on a laptop or possibly Raspberry Pi as well, for high level functions
like Central Traffic Control for routing, etc.

Claude