[SGVHAK] Recap Jul 19th meeting

John Kim thinkndev at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 15:31:50 PDT 2013

On Fri 19 Jul 2013 12:39:07 AM PDT, Lan Dang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First of all, James is in the midst of converting the SGVHAK website,
> so don't be alarmed if it looks really different. We are trying to
> simplify things so it is obvious when and where the meetings are. I
> got enough questions about it that I guess it's better to have
> forthcoming dates on the website rather than rely purely on email.
>
> The next meeting is Sat, July 27th, at Hastings Branch Library from
> 2-6pm. Come at any time. I think there will be an Internet-in-a-Box
> hackathon on this day, but I am not sure when that will start.
>
> The meeting after that is Thu, August 1st, at Dave's place again. He
> will be building a computer from component parts. He needs a little
> help to install Linux on it so it can serve as a headless fileserver
> and postgresql server. I think Mic is doing a lockpicking session--he
> called it steelbolt hacking.
>
> I have really been enjoying the meetings at Dave's workshop because we
> have more freedom to work on stuff and he's got cool things. I
> especially appreciate all the shop talk because I don't have much of
> an electronics background. And conversations involving the different
> things one could do with a hard disk platter? Pure nerd fun. Come out
> and join us if you have the time.
>
> Today, Dave did a demo showing the programming a PIC processor using a
> hockey puck programmer over USB.
>
> Mic let me practice soldering on his project, which was a defusable
> clock kit from nootropicdesign.com. I'm more confident about my
> soldering abilities now.
>
> James was working on the website, converting it to Pelican and
> changing it to a few standalone pages. I am not sure when it will go live.
>
> Steven worked on his Raspberry Pi, which had a wireless dongle...and
> somehow, that was an irresistible invitation for Michael to attempt to
> hack his system. I don't know exactly what they were doing, but I hear
> it will culminate in a joint talk at the August SGVLUG meeting.
>
> Ginko and Scoops came later. Ginko talked about a place called The Shed (
> http://www.lalomadevelopment.com/events/shed-open-house) which is an
> emerging space for the sustainable development community. She also
> invited us to her Repair Cafe event on August 17th. Scoops will post
> more info later.
>
> Ginko was working on a pretty house number plaque which was made with
> mosaic tile on a sealed wood board. It is so nice to watch creative
> people at work.
>
> John gave us some status on his 3D Delta printer project which is
> based on a design by his friend, who is hoping to start a Kickstarter
> fundraiser. I suggested asking his friend to demo his printer at one
> of our HAK meetings.
>
> We had a group dinner together at Carmine's where we continued the fun
> conversations. We got a nice big table in the corner, so we were able
> to talk to each other easily with not too much noise.
>
> Lan

Hi all,

Man, I'm missing out on a lot.

I only wish that the Thursday meetings are somewhere closer to Los
Angeles, like Hastings Library.  It would be easier on me, since I
don't have a car and rely solely on public transportation to get there.
 Public transportation to David's place takes a huge chunk of my day.
Just something to think about.

I hope I can come next Saturday; the hackathon sounds like a lot of fun.

--
John Kim
Ubuntu User #35405
thinkndev at gmail.com