[SGVHAK] Ideas for logos, promotional items?

Homan Chou homanchou at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 00:30:06 PST 2013

My wife, Jane Wu, of Avengers fame (remember Hulk punching Thor and
also Hulk tossing Loki around like a rag doll?  She storyboarded those
scenes -- see janewu.net) came up with this logo for sgvhak.

She did research on what hacking was and picked up on this phrase from
wikipedia, "[Hackers] originated in the 1960s around the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology's (MIT's)", which she then found inspiration
from the blocky letters in the MIT logo.  Instead of using red font
color with the spot of gray, she opted for a black and yellow with a
spot of white (inspired by a wasp) because she considers hackers to be
somewhat aggressive, bending things to our will.  Then she fit in the
nice circuit board background since I told her the 'H' probably stood
for hardware.

I suggested that the 'SGV' part should be done in printed circuit
board font style above the HAK 'chip', but she rolled her eyes at me
saying that that would be too contrived.  So my contribution was to
suggest a system prompt, to which she said,'what the hell is that?'

I said.. it's a dollar sign followed by 'sgv' ... but then a linux
prompt '$' followed by another 'S' in sgv was confusing to look at.
So we settled on more of a DOS prompt...(blah)... but I think it still
looks nice.  The eye follows the prompt and the HAK really pops, as if
invoked by the command.

Homan