[SGVHAK] The Modem Challenge

Braddock Gaskill braddock at braddock.com
Mon Jan 14 09:17:40 PST 2013

I've been informally trying to get a software modem to work at 300 baud,
figuring I'd use a microphone and headset to make a poor man's acoustic
coupler to a cell phone (or skype or anything).

The closest thing I've found is minimodem, but it is not full duplex.
Probably can be hacked.  The HAM stuff like fldigi could do it but again
only half duplex.

I tried hacking sl-modem-daemon, a generic soft modem driver, to get it to
work with a standard ALSA sound device (instead of a WinModem), but I
couldn't make it work after an hour or two - it relies on a 32-bit closed
source DSP library and is pretty well hard coded to certain bit rates.

-braddock

http://everything2.com/title/How+to+connect+any+cellular+phone+to+a+modem

> Anyway, here are some notes and links I have gathered.  This is not an
> easy subject to look up as most of the time, the conversation and
> instructions are about mobile tethering and 3G modems.  Also a lot of
the
> relevant conversation for dialing out to other modems tends to be from
2007
> and earlier, back when the desire was more common.  Sometimes, I look up
> faxing.
>

> I think it boils down to:
> 1) Carrier must support it.  It was easier with CDMA for some reason.
It

http://www.computerweekly.com/feature/Sprint-moves-to-packet-switch-network

http://www.engadget.com/2005/01/18/how-to-use-your-cdma-cellphone-as-a-usb-modem/

http://lifehacker.com/175048/geek-to-live--use-your-cell-phone-as-a-modem