[SGVHAK] Raspberry Pi - recommendations?

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 00:46:19 PST 2013

Okay, i guess I was not specific enough.
What I am looking for is an HDMI to VGA converter that ALSO provides
audio output and does not require additional power, instead getting
power from the HDMI output of the Raspberry Pi.

Here is the listing on the adafruit website for $25
http://adafruit.com/products/1151

Here is what I think is the same thing on the Newegg website and it
says specifically no external power needed and they have it on sale
for $18.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0ZK-000J-000E9

The Adafruit listing does not mention anything about external power
but it says they have tested it with the Raspberry.

Looked on the monoprice website and I can not find this.  They have
VGA to HDMI, various adapters but no HDMI to VGA WITH audio.

I searched the MCMelectronics website and they list two HDMI to VGA
plus audio converters but they both require external power and list
for ~$50.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-12384&green=15C33160-B6D4-5E84-931C-28BB128030D6
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/33-11615&green=15C33160-B6D4-5E84-931C-28BB128030D6

So if someone can provide a link or better yet the specific search
string they used to find it for under $10 I would appreciate it.

Alternatively, can anyone tell me i can get audio out of the rPi from
the audio jack while using the HDMI for video?  Do i need to configure
anything special or will it just output audio on both?  If so, then
perhaps I could try one of the cheaper adapters but i'm trying to keep
the project as small as possible and really don't want to hand over a
box with a ton of wires coiled up around it.

Oh rats, I just noticed that the Newegg listing is for a micro HDMI jack.