[SGVHAK] Arduino workshop, Developer Inerest Group, Loscon

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Sun Nov 18 11:10:03 PST 2012

Hi all,
This is for those of you who have some free time Thanksgiving weekend.

ARDUINO WORKSHOP
===================

There is going to be an Arduino workshop at Loscon next Saturday.  I think there will be a talk at 10am and the workshop will be held at 2pm.https://www.facebook.com/LosconArduinoWorkshop/info

https://www.facebook.com/LosconArduinoWorkshop?ref=stream

You probably have to RSVP to participate in the workshop.  You also need a membership with Loscon.  Preregistration is over.  It is now $60 for whole weekend or $35 for a single day.

http://loscon.org/391/?page_id=71

DEVELOPER INTEREST GROUP
==========================
One of the things I enjoeyd about Loscon last year was the "Make Room! Make Room!" exhibits, where makers come to show off there stuff.http://developerinterest.org/make-room-make-room-at-loscon-39/
https://www.facebook.com/MakeRoomMakeRoom

This appears to be organized through the  Developer Interest Group which was meeting in Van Nuys, but now they are looking into meeting in Pasadena.  I'll see if I can find out more about them, as we have overlapping interests.
http://developerinterest.org/about-dig/

LOSCON
=======

So what is Loscon?   Loscon is a really cool science fiction/fantasy convention held during Thanksgiving weekend at the LAX Marriott hotel.  I think it's in its 39th year.  There are costumes, talks, parties, nitrogen ice cream, screening rooms, gaming rooms.  There is a room where people get together and sing silly songs, or haunting songs inspired by fandom or even events like the Challenger disaster.

Aside from science fiction talks, they also have science talks.  Last year, they invited rocket scientists to talk about rockets and commercial space flight.  This year, there are a track of JPL talks covering missions like Cassini, MRO, DAWN, Curiosity, and there is a talk about spacecraft operations.

Main site: http://loscon.org/391/

Schedule: http://loscon.org/391/?page_id=97

Lan
(who had a lot of fun last year)